At first soldiers were put in civilian
gaols, but from 1844 military gaols were built. One of the
largest, a three storey cellblock, was built at Aldershot
in 1870. The roof was made entirely of glass and it came
to be known amongst soldiers as 'The Glasshouse'. Since then being put in a military prison anywhere has been known as being put in 'the glasshouse'.