The Regiment was known as the Royal Norfolk
Regiment for only twenty-four years. Initially, regiments were
known by the name of their colonel, then in 1747 a numbering
system was introduced and this Regiment became the 9th Foot.
first link to Norfolk was made just under 100 years after
the Regiment was formed and became The 9th (East Norfolk) Regiment
. In 1881 all numbered infantry regiments were given stronger
geographical links and a fixed regimental depot. Thus the
Regiment became 'The Norfolk Regiment' and Britannia Barracks
were built in Norwich as headquarters for recruiting, training
and accommodation for the soldiers.