By the end of the 19th century conditions
in the army had improved. Well-designed infantry
barracks were built for the Norfolk Regiment on Mousehold
Heath and named Britannia Barracks. The main buildings
were built between 1887 and 1897.
The Regiment left the barracks in 1959
when it amalgamated with the Suffolk Regiment and moved
to Bury-St-Edmunds. Most of the buildings subsequently
became part of Norwich prison.