Regimental schools financed by the officers
for the men and their children began in the late 17th century
and were common by the beginning of the 19th century. From
1844 all regiments had to have a school for soldiers' children.
Boys were taught by Sergeant Schoolmasters. Civilian schoolmistresses
taught the girls. Soldiers could also go to the schools if
they wished to.
The need to have men, particularly Non-Commissioned
Officers (NCOs) who could read and issue written orders
made basic education necessary.